IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON PERFORMANCE OF APMCs IN MARATHWADA REGION
Keywords:COVID-19, Agricultural Produce, Product Arrival, Product Price, APMC turnover
The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic can be seen in the agriculture sector in terms of supply chain disruptions and agricultural production. Although the lockdown guidelines exempt farm operations and supply chains, challenges arise of supplying agriculture products in appropriate markets and time. This paper attempts to analyse the impact of COVID-19 lockdown on performance of Agricultural Produce Market Committees (APMCs) in Marathwada region (Maharashtra, India) with special reference to price, arrival and turnover. This study is based on the data collected from the offices of 10 APMCs i.e. Jalna, Aurangabad, Gangakhed, Paithan, Loha, Jalna (Flower), Parbhani, Aurangabad (Vegitable), Ahmedpur, and Latur of Marathwada region and Maharashtra State Agricultural Marketing Board, Pune (Office). The difference in product arrival, prices and turnover of APMCs of Marathwada region before and during COVID-19 were analysed. The analysis of the difference in the product arrival, prices and turnover across markets and crops has shown a mixed response. It has been observed that vegetables market and flowers market have faced a significant decline in product arrival, modal prices and turnover during the pandemic.
• Ali, J, & Khan, W. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on agricultural wholesale prices in India: A comparative analysis across the phases of the lockdown. J Public Affairs; https://doi.org/10.1002/pa.2402.
• Das et al. (2020). Impact of Covid-19 pandemic on Indian rural livelihood, Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies. 8(5), 1847-1850. Retrieved from: https://www.entomoljournal.com/archives/2020/vol8issue5/PartZ/8-5-131-673.pdf
• Mahesh, V., & Senthilkumar, G. (2020). Retailers’ Satisfaction for Banana Marketing in Thiruvaiyaru Town, International Journal of Management (IJM), 11(11), pp. 3686-3691. https://iaeme.com/Home/issue/IJM?Volume=11&Issue=11.
• Parimalarangan, R., & Baskar, V. D. (2022). Recent development in agricultural marketing in India. In David Chella Baskar, V and Shalendra (Eds.), Agricultural Marketing in India - Reforms for a Liberal and Competitive System (pp. 17-22). Hyderabad: National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management (MANAGE) & Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University, Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh).
• Rose Mary K A. & Gaur Seema. (2016 May 17). Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC), Retrieved from: http://www.arthapedia.in/index.php?title=Agricultural_Produce_Market_Committee_(APMC)#ref1.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Journal of Global Economy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.