WOMEN EMPOWERMENT IN SEVEN DIMENSIONS THROUGH SELF HELP GROUPS IN ARUNACHALPRADESH: A CASE STUDY
Keywords:Civilization, Womenâ€™s development, Women empowerment, Development paradigm
Women are the nucleus of our civilization. They have different roles to play in the ever changing social set-up. Womenâ€™s development is directly related with the nation development. With the dawn of independence our constitution guaranteed gender equality and a large number of schemes and programs have been initiated for womenâ€™s development. Women usually falls under the powerless group which necessitates the programmes ensured empowerment of women. Now a days; empowerment especially women empowerment has become a buzz word especially in the context of development of rural poor and women. Empowering the poor for their development is one of the top most prioritized agenda in development paradigm of every developing and underdeveloped country. Empowerment of women may normally mean equal access to & control over important productive resources. Women empowerment, therefore, may normally describe as a process by which women would be able to develop their confidence level & increase their inner strength & self reliance to decide and determine their important choices in life. The socio-economic empowerment of women achieved through SHG may be divided into dimensions of Economic, Social, Political, Personal, Institutional, Organisational, and Familial.
2. Kabeer, N. (2001), â€œResources Agency Achievements: Reflections on the Measurement
of Womenâ€™s Empowerment â€“ Theory and Practiceâ€, SIDA Studies, No. 3.
3. Kotishwar, A (2010): â€œWomen Empowerment Thorough Self Help Groups- A Case Study of Nizamabad District of Andhra Pradeshâ€, International Journal of Research in Commerce and Management, VOLUME NO: 1, ISSUE NO. 01 (MAY), pp.48-71
4. Mandal, Ram Krishna (2013): â€œSuccess Story of Self Help Groups without Financial Help: A Paradigm Shift of Women Empowermentâ€, Journal of Global Economy, Vol. 9(1), March, Mumbai
5. Oxaal, Z. and Baden, S. Gender and Empowerment: Definitions, Approaches and Implications for Policy Report no. 40, Briefing prepared for the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), Institute of Development Studies, UK, 1997.
6. Rao, D. Pulla (2011): Political Dimension of Women Empowerment, The Associated Publishers, Amabala City, India.